Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mairi's Wedding

My dad and I tentatively selected the song "Marie's Wedding" (though I personally think Mairi would be the more accurate spelling, Van Morrison and the Chieftains are welcome to spell their country's traditional songs as they please) a week or two before the big day. It wasn't until the night of the rehearsal dinner that we ever determined if we could even dance to it. It's a pretty speedy little tune, but our 10 second rehearsal reassured us that we could probably wing something for it.

It's not a song I would attempt dancing with just anyone, but my dad is quite the dancer. He's got excellent rhythm and leads really well, so I just followed him and everything worked out quite dandy.

It was quite a tumultuous time for my family leading up to the wedding, so it was really indescribably special to dance with my dad at my wedding. I was never a child that daydreamed about my future wedding, but I was addicted to the Chieftains album from which this hails (to the extent that you can probably credit it for me ever picking up the fiddle), and I did always imagine it would be featured in some way in my own wedding. Dancing to this tune with my dad, the only person I know who loves celtic music as much as I do, was a perfect moment in a wonderful day.

I think you can see from these photos that I'm still his little girl despite my new marital status.

guest photo
Step we gaily on we go,
Heel and heel
And toe for toe
guest photo
Arm and arm
And row and row,
All for Marie's wedding
guest photo
Over hillways, up and down,
Myrtle green and bracken brown,
Past the sheilings through the town
guest photo
All for the sake of Marie

Red her cheeks as Rowan's are,
Bright her eyes as any star

Fairest of them all by far,
Is our darlin' Marie

Plenty herring, plenty meal,
Plenty peat to fill her kreel

Plenty bonnie bairns as well,
That's the toast for Marie


All photos by Jenna Cole, unless otherwise denoted by watermark as Lynn Nguyen's, or unless marked as a guest photo.
I purchased a disc of unedited high resolution photos from Jenna, so all photos by her have been edited by me for the purpose of sharing them with you.

4 comments:

Julia O'C said...

Another post and set of pictures that left me teary-eyed!! Beautiful.

Allie said...

Oh my gosh how flippin perfect!! I just youtube'd the song and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it...i'm just dancing while I write to you!! Couldn't find it by the chieftains but it was still delicious!!!!

Allie said...

right you are mary girl...I guess I didn't see it :) So I watched your version and I still love it tons and tons!!!!
Can't wait to see you for christmas!!

Ankit Ron said...

Fantasy Power 11 if you have a good knowledge of Cricket you Can play daily online ,live cricket games,
cricket online games, best cricket games, play cricket online, cricket game online at best cricket games app for android phones
live cricket online