Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Love and Happiness

I spent a few hours last night working on the playlist for our reception. Although I previously mentioned on here (a long time ago) that finding a DJ was a priority for us, we're going the iTunes reception route instead. My brother will man the laptop & speakers as much as is necessary, but otherwise, it'll do its thing.



So far, I've picked out about 4 hours worth of music that seems appropriate for the occasion. I don't know if enough of it is danceable - my music collection is mostly pretty mellow singer-songwriter sort of stuff. I do have a ridiculous(ly awesome) number of silly 90s hits included in the playlist. I should divide it out between music to be played while we eat vs. while we dance and such, and see how that works out time-wise. If there's not enough songs to dance to, maybe I can supplement that with music from my brother, my friends, or our family friend who has the largest music collection I've ever heard of. And he pays for all of his, unlike my buddio who torrents his shtuff like a mad-man.

Allow me to list a few songs on the list, because I'm sure you care. ;)

  • Love and Happiness - Al Green
  • Love Me Do - The Beatles
  • Funny Little Frog - Belle & Sebastian
  • Gonna Make You Sweat - C+C Music Factory
  • I Love My Jean - Camera Obscura
  • Dreams - The Cranberries
  • Made Up Love Song #43 - Guillemots
  • What Is Love? - Haddaway
  • U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer
  • Thank You (Falletinme Be Mice Elf) - Sly & The Family Stone
  • String of Pearls - Glenn Miller
  • Closing Time - Semisonic
  • I Second That Emotion - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
Aaaand so on and so forth.

My brother's a little bit of a music elitist, so he maaay try to nix a few of my more ridonkulous choices. There are only a few songs I'd fight him too much over since I want them *because* they are so ridiculous. Otherwise, he can largely run with it. I'll probably want to look over the final playlist before the day of, but this is one of those things I'm glad to hand off. I'll give him all the music I can, tell him what songs are for the first dance, father/daughter & mother/son dances, and then trust him to pick the order of the rest. If he just hits shuffle, I'd be cool with that too, honestly.

1 comment:

keo8128 said...

I'd really love to see the full list you wound up using for your reception! I'm struggling to do the same thing, and am seeking inspiration!!